[Last updated: 11.30am Thursday 25th July]
Here you can find out about early copies, proof giveaways, swag and fun activities at each publisher stall at YALC — you can find more information about signings, panels and workshops on their website.
Below you will find information listed by stall about fun stuff, early copies for sale, competitions and more. Pay attention to the key – some stalls are cash only, some card only and some both. It is recommended that you get cash out before you come to the show, as cash machines in Olympia often have long queues and sometimes run out of cash. There are several in the small shopping centre at Hammersmith’s Piccadilly and District line tube station (by the McDonald’s) and at the station at Kensington High Street. For more info on the area, check out my thread from last year.
It is going to be very hot again this year, so please be kind and considerate to your fellow attendees, but also authors and to the staff running these stalls who are on their feet working all three days, making the experience as fun as possible for us all, and will also be suffering with the heat. My top tips: bring fans, drinks and snacks, wear cool clothes, use the cloak room to store bags, be kind and look out for anyone who looks like they are struggling.
This year I decided to organise the list by publisher/stall to make it easier for you to navigate YALC along with the map.
If you have anything you’d like to add to the YALC Guide, please DM me on Twitter, or drop me an email at hux.sewmanybooks AT gmail.com.
ANDERSEN PRESS [CASH ONLY] – Stall B1
- Chinglish by Sue Cheung: competition, post your drawn 30-second self-portrait to Twitter. 5 winners per day chosen at 4.30pm.
- Evernight by Ross Mackenzie: competition, tweet a photo of the proofs. 1 winner Friday & Saturday, chosen at 4.30pm.
- All paperbacks £5, all hardbacks £10.
ATOM BOOKS [CASH ONLY] – Stall B3
- In the Time We Lost by Carrie Hope Fletcher: giveaway, visit the stall on Sunday for your chance to win one of seven proofs.
- A Boy and His Dog at the End of the World by C. A. Fletcher: daily giveaways, 16 to win.
- Ten Thousand Doors of January by Alix E. Harrow: daily giveaways, 16 to win.
- Who Put This Song On? by Morgan Parker: daily giveaways, 16 to win.
- Giveaways for a bundle of Atom 2019 proofs, plus 6 Carrie Hope Fletcher mugs, 5 DVDs of The Notebook and more on the stall.
- Free samplers of Grief Angels by David Owen, Every Sparrow Falling by Shirley Ann McMillan and Permanent Record by Mary H. K. Choi, plus bookmarks, pins, postcards and posters.
- Lots of books only £5!
BARRINGTON STOKE [CASH ONLY] – Stall A15
- What Magic is This? by Holly Bourne: early copies for sale in the YALC bookshop. Show proof of purchase at stall to claim an A6 Holly Bourne print.
- Letting Go by Cat Clarke: competition, visit stall to enter to win, one signed early copy available each day. Winners drawn at the end of the day.
- The Starlight Watchmaker by Lauren James: buy from the YALC bookshop and bring proof of purchase to stall to claim steampunk/cog jewellery.
- Free samplers showcasing summer/autumn YA titles by Cat Clarke, Eve Ainsworth, Holly Bourne, Lauren James and Elizabeth Wein.
- Selection of books on sale for only £5.
BHC PRESS [CASH ONLY] – Stall C8
- Meet N.J. Simmonds, author of The Path Keeper, who is running the stall this year.
- Cover reveal of book two in the Indigo series, Son of Secrets.
- Visit the stall for giveaways and signings.
BLOOMSBURY [CARD & CASH] – Stall B8&9
- Friday 3.30pm, Karen Gregory will be signing I Hold Your Heart.
- A Heart So Fierce and Broken by Brigid Kemmerer: competition, tweet a photo of the proof & white rose on the stall to enter.
- Signed Kingdom of Ash by Sarah J Maas & goodies: competition, match the most quotes with the titles on the stall to win.
- Samplers of Havenfall by Sara Holland, and a Bloomsbury YA booklet full of Q&As, extracts & treats.
- Enjoy exclusive artwork by Jim Kay of the Triwizard dragon from Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire Illustrated Edition.
BKMRK [CARD NO CASH] – Booth A
- The Deathless Girls by Kiran Millwood Hargrave: raffle, 20 to win, pick up a ticket on Friday, winners chosen at 3.45pm.
- SLAY by Brittney Morris: raffle, 20 to win, pick up a ticket on Saturday, winners chosen at 3.45pm. One winner will also win a VR headset.
- The Liars by Jennifer Mathieu: raffle, 20 to win, pick up a ticket on Sunday, winners chosen at 2.45pm.
- Signed King of Scars by Leigh Bardugo: 6 available per day, sign up for a chance to buy one, names drawn every day from 1pm.
- Chill out in the Paper & Hearts Society zone, and swap books on the book-swap-shelf!
- On Saturday, take a polaroid with your pals to be featured on the Meat Market board.
- On Sunday, celebrate the publication of Rose, Interrupted by Patrice Lawrence with everyone and cupcakes!
- Free sanitary products in the YALC bathrooms, courtesy of The Hormone Diaries.
CHICKEN HOUSE [CASH ONLY] – Stall C14
- Jelly by Claire Rees: buy your copy from the YALC bookshop, and pick up a free goodie bag from the stall.
- The Loop by Ben Oliver: raffle, pick up tickets on Friday and Saturday. Winners drawn at 2.45pm.
- Guess how many jelly beans there are in the jar to win a big bunch of YA books.
- All paperbacks £5, all hardbacks £10.
ELECTRIC MONKEY [Not selling any books this year] – Stall C2
- Chelsea High by Jenny Oliver: giveaway, take a post it featuring a role from Grease and try on an outfit, some roles mean you win! 10 proofs to win per day.
- Samplers for The Love Hypothesis by Laura Steven and Chelsea High by Jenny Oliver.
- Play the Love Hypothesis chemistry bingo game to win a limited edition sampler, or enter The Exact Opposite of Okay caption contest.
- Saturday 11.30-1pm, Aisha Bushby will be making origami paper stars on the stall. Join her, sign your social media handle inside the star, and you could win a signed proof of A Pocketful of Stars.
FABER & FABER [CARD & CASH] – Stall B10&11
- Pet by Akwaeke Emezi: giveaway, win proofs, visit the stall for more info.
- Giveaways to win The Curses by Laure Eve & In Paris With You by Clémentine Beauvais
- Promotional material for The Boy in the Black Suit by Jason Reynolds and Pet by Akwaeke Emezi.
- Saturday 3.30pm: exclusive giveaway and signing with Alwyn Hamilton in the event space.
FIREFLY [CARD AND CASH] – Stall B2
- Saturday 11am: Kat Ellis, author of Purge, Blackfin Sky and forthcoming Harrow Lake, and co-author of Three Strikes, will be signing on the stall.
- Saturday 2pm: Sarah Govett, author of The Territory series, will be signing on the stall.
- All books are a fiver — check out their backlist.
HARPER 360 – [CASH & CARD] Stall B5
- The Fowl Twins by Eoin Colfer: giveaway, Friday only, visit stall for more info.
- Free Harper360 magazine showcasing new and backlist titles.
- 1 sampler free with every purchase: The Memory Thief by Lauren Mansy, and The Evil Queen by Gena Showlater.
HARPER VOYAGER [CARD AND CASH] – Booth D
- Kingdom of Souls by Rena Barron: raffle, pick up a ticket to win a proof and badge. 30 to win every day, winners drawn at 3pm every day.
- Sign up to the Voyager newsletter to get a beautiful tote bag and a code for a free audiobook of Nevernight by Jay Kristoff, and be entered into a prize draw to win copies of Darkdawn, Kingdom of Souls, The Dragon Republic, Stormtide, Kingdom of Copper and After the Flood.
- Pose with Mr. Kindly from Nevernight, and post your photo. The best one gets to take him home.
- Colour in the cover of The Binding by Bridget Collins to win an exclusive tote and notebook.
- Visit the Voyager instagram booth, and set up some beautiful photos to share on bookstagram.
- Look out for messages in a bottle. Tickets to win exclusive prizes are hidden inside.
- Each day Voyager are giving away samplers of Blood Heir by Amélie Wen Zhao and Monstrous Heart by Claire McKenna.
HASHTAG READS (Simon & Schuster) [CARD & CASH] – Stall B12&13
- Yes No Maybe So by Becky Albertalli & Aisha Saeed: competition to win a proof, fill out a ballot slip to enter. All entries get a badge for taking part.
- Infinity Son by Adam Silvera: 100 given away per day from the stall, first come first served.
- Scars Like Wings by Erin Stewart: raffle, 30 proofs to win every day at 11am. 10 signed proofs also up for grabs.
- Jackpot by Nic Stone: competition, play jackpot on the stall to win a proof.
- Samplers of Red Scrolls of Magic by Cassandra Clare and Wesley Chu, Serious Moonlight by Jenn Bennett and And the Stars Were Burning Brightly by Danielle Jawando.
- Sign up to Hashtag Reads newsletter to win their biggest 2019 and early 2020 titles.
HODDERSCAPE [CARD ONLY NO CASH] – Booth E
- Dark Age by Pierce Brown: early copies for sale, exclusively at YALC.
- Fairyloot Exclusive edition of Finale by Stephanie Garber: competition, post a photo to instagram using the props to enter.
- Buy any two books from the stall and pick a free gift: ARCs of Girls of Storm and Shadow by Natasha Ngan, The Beautiful by Renée Ahdieh or The Return by Rachel Harrison, samplers of First Sister by Linden Lewis or The Space Between Worlds by Micaiah Johnson, or free Hodderscape goodies, including totes and badges.
- To Be Taught, If Fortunate by Becky Chambers: giveaway, find all 10 planets around YALC to enter.
- Saturday 1.30-4.30pm: free glitter tattoos in the activity area.
- Free exclusive Laini Taylor tote with purchases of both Muse of Nightmares and Strange the Dreamer.
- Sign up to the Hodderscape newsletter to win a bundle of YA and SFF books.
HOT KEY BOOKS [CARD & CASH] – Booth B
- D.O.G.S. by M.A. Bennett: early copies for sale
- Throne of Swans by Katherine & Elizabeth Corr: giveaway, 25 proofs per day, visit the stall to find out more.
- Into the Crooked Place by Alexandra Christo: competition, win a proof, visit the stall for more info
- The Good Luck Girls by Charlotte Nicole Davies: competition, win a proof, visit the stall for more info
- Samplers of Queen of Nothing by Holly Black and a big sampler containing chapters of Hot Key’s 2020 YA Books.
- Friday, 10-11.30am: Deidre Sullivan will be doing tarot reading. Location TBC.
ILLUMICRATE [CARD AND CASH] – Stall A5
- Saturday 1pm: Samantha Shannon signing on the stall.
- Sunday 1pm: Kristina Perez signing on the stall.
- Exclusive YALC items for sale, as well as past Illumicrate books.
- A lucky dip for prizes and proof giveaways during the signings.
INDEPENDENT ALLIANCE [CARD & CASH]
- Proof lucky dip — pick a shiny jiffy (the teaser words on the outside might help guide you…) and bag yourself a proof of a David Fickling Books novel.
- The stall will be selling a wide range of books and graphic novels, from Granta, David Fickling Books, Europa Editions, Canongate, and Icon books including the Graphic History of Queer, Call Me By Your Name and The Art of Being Normal by Lisa Williamson.
JOHN TARROW/TALLISTON [CARD & CASH] – Stall A14
- The Stranger’s Guide to Talliston by John Tarrow: signed early copies for sale.
- Find out more about Talliston house and gardens, and pick up merchandise.
JOSIE JAFFREY [CASH & CARD]
- All seven novels available to purchase at discounted prices: pick up The Gilded King for £5 or the whole trilogy for £15. All books in the Solis Invicti quartet are £7.50 or £25 for the whole set.
- Beautiful enamel pin badges on sale for £2.50
- Giveaway of early chapbooks of Josie’s latest short story, normally only available to Patreon supporters.
- Every purchase gets a raffle ticket that enters you into a draw to win a totes, mugs and sets of pin badges. Winners picked twice a day.
- Free stickers and bookmarks.
MELIA BOOKS [CARD AND CASH] – Stall C1
- Pick up Tor US published titles right here.
- On Sunday, pop over to the Illumicrate booth to Kristina Perez’s signing to potentially win Wild Savage Stars, the sequel to Sweet Black Waves.
- Expect posters, sweets, pin badges, bookmarks, lovely company from our one and only Jamie-Lee Nardone, and prizes.
MY KINDA BOOK [CASH & CARD] – Booth C
- We Hunt the Flame by Hafsah Faizal: early copies for sale on the MKB stall.
- Wilder Girls by Rory Power: raffle, 100 copies to win, pick up a ticket, winners drawn at 3pm.
- Friday 11am: win an Enchantée candle in lucky dip.
- Saturday 11am: Wayward Son/Carry On by Rainbow Rowell themed Name That Spell competition.
- Saturday 2pm: No Big Deal by Bethany Rutter themed “Empower a Stranger” message wall.
- Sunday 10am: SING (Like No One’s Listening) by Vanessa Jones themed Musical Matches with free cupcakes.
- Samplers of Pumpkinheads by Rainbow Rowell.
PENGUIN [CASH & CARD] – Booth F
- American Royals by Katherine McGee: giveaway, visit the stall on Saturday for more info.
- Full Disclosure by Camryn Garrett: giveaway, visit the stall on Sunday for more info.
- Frankly in Love by David Yoon: free proof with the first 100 books sold at the PRH stand.
- Fun freebies include a Percy Jackson sampler, Secret of the Commonwealth Oyster card holder, and Crossfire by Malorie Blackman inspired badges.
- Look out for the Camp Half-Blood photo opportunities happening across YALC!
QUIRK BOOKS [CARD AND CASH] – Stall A9
- Pick up xQuirk books on these two stalls.
- Expect posters, sweets, pin badges, bookmarks, lovely company from our one and only Jamie-Lee Nardone, and prizes.
ROCK THE BOAT [CARD & CASH] – Stall A2
- The Sky is Mine by Amy Beashel: ARC giveaway and signing at 12.30pm on Friday.
- With every purchase, you can enter the tombola to win a book of your choice! Includes three rare proofs of Aurora Rising by Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff (limited to one proof per person).
- Free pronoun stickers, stickers for OtherLife by Jason Segel and Kirsten Miller, bookmarks for Once & Future by Amy Rose Capetta & Cori McCarthy, How to Make Friends with the Dark by Kathleen Glasgow and Aurora Rising.
- Join the Aurora Academy: fill out a questionnaire to find out what member you are, successful applicants get a metallic pin badge with their sigil.
SCHOLASTIC [CASH ONLY] – Stall C3&4
- Dead Popular by Sue Wallman: early copies for sale, if you buy you are entered into a draw to win an Instax mini camera.
- Samplers for Call Down the Hawk by Maggie Stiefvater
- Exclusive Melinda Salisbury giveaway, details to be revealed!
- Spend £10 on the stall and get an Alex in Wonderland by Simon James Green tote bag.
- Take a Chance on Me by Beth Garrod discounted during the daily ABBA disco hour.
- Friday 11.30-1.30: nail art themed on Under a Dancing Star by Laura Wood.
STRIPES [CASH & CARD] – Stall A3&4
- Wranglestone by Darren Charlton: raffle, five exclusive signed proofs to win every day. Bring proof of purchase of Proud (photo of your copy/receipt/physical copy bought at YALC/proof of review) to enter. Winners drawn at 4pm every day. Darren will be at the stall on Friday afternoon to talk about the book!
SWEET CHERRY – [CASH AND CARD] Stall C10
- Lily’s Just Fine (Galloway Girls Book 1) by Gill Stewart: on sale for only £5 with free bookmarks, postcards, charms and samplers for book 2.
- Running several competitions included tweeting photos of their bookstagram corner, and guessing how many pins. Visit the stall to find out more.
- Sign up to the Sweet Cherry newsletter to receive an exclusive Galloway Girls chapter.
TALLER BOOKS [CASH ONLY] – Stall B15
- Battle Ground by Rachel Churcher: early copies for sale, £5 for paperback or free ebook.
- Making Trouble by Rachel Churcher: ebook novella, free download available from stall.
USBORNE [CASH ONLY] – Stall C7
- The Places I’ve Cried in Public by Holly Bourne: raffle, one ticket free with every purchase, two proofs to win every day, winners announced at 4.15pm. Also, look out for tear drops and visit the stall on Friday for some extra Holly Bourne themed activity.
- Seafire by Natalie C. Parker: early copies for sale on stall.
- Signed copies of My Secret Lies With You by Faye Bird, Birthday by Meredith Russo, Jemima Small Versus the Universe by Tamsin Winter, Beauty Sleep by Kathryn Evans, Slay by Kim Curran. All books 2 for £10, or rounded down by 99p.
- Free pocket mirror with every purchase of Beauty Sleep by Kathryn Evans
- Free Usborne 2020 sampler includes the first chapter of Holly Bourne’s The Places I Cried in Public, William Hussey’s Hideous Beauty, the new novel from 2018 YA Book prize winning author Will Hill, and more!
- On Saturday, visit the stall to get your own personalised pep talk with the Pep Talk Takeaway.
- Sunday 12.30pm: cover reveal for William Hussey’s Hideous Beauty in the Activity Area. Find out more, meet the author, and sign up for an early proof.
WALKER [CASH & CARD] – Stall B14
- And the Ocean Was Our Sky by Patrick Ness: early copies of paperback for sale
- The Wheel of Misfortune…. Visit the stall to find out what this means!!
- Giveaways for Heartstream pins, and limited On the Come Up t shirts!
ZUNTOLD [CASH & CARD] – Stall A11
- Selling lots of books including The Year I Didn’t Eat by Samuel Pollen.
- Giveaways every day at 5pm — the best suggestions for the next YA bestseller wins!
ABRAMS & CHRONICLE do not have a stall this year, however they have sent samplers of Alice the Absent by A. G. Howard which should be available on the info table, and proofs of The Last Human by Lee Bacon, possibly at the info table as well.
Download this as a printable PDF below